Mallaig Lifeboat
Log for 2005

Information for these pages is sourced from WestWord, local newspaper for West Lochaber

Previous year's log Following years log

Saturday 1st January:
The first 'shout' of the new year and it was for a dog! The barking of a small dog had been heard coming from under the fish pier so Lifeboat crew launched the Y-boat mid- aftemoon and recovered the frightened animal which had been trapped on a ledge under the pier. It transpired the dog had been there for 4 days!

Monday 17th January:
Mayday call picked up by the Fishery Office in Mallaig from a fishing vessel in difficulties in Loch Nevis, so Stornoway Coastguard requested the aid of the Mallaig Lifeboat at 10.25. Lifeboat reached the casualty - the local 10 metre fishing vessel Sonas - which had drifted onto the shore just south of Inverie Bay due to a net caught up in the propeller. Vessel refloated and towed to Mallaig Harbour by the Lifeboat, docking at 1300 hours.

Sunday 13th February:
Lifeboat launched at 08.50 following a request from the Mallaig Harbour Master. Fishing vessels were breaking from their moorings in the harbour due to violent Force 9/10 northerly winds and squalls. Concerned about the possibility of crew members being on board it was thought advisable to launch the Lifeboat, so Stornoway Coastguard paged the crew. Lifeboat was able to tow and secure alongside MFV Reliant and help out with other incidents in the harbour. Some of the crew also gave invaluable assistance ashore to harbour personnel in fairly severe conditions. Lifeboat arrived back on station at noon.

Services during March and April were performed by the Daniel L Gibson (No. 17-38), a Severn Class Lifeboat,providing relief cover for the Mallaig Lifeboat.

Monday 21st March:
After a report that a man in Inverie had suffered head injuries, Stornoway Coastguardrequested the presence of the Mallaig Lifeboat to go to his aid. Taking on board localparamedics the Lifeboat launched at 10.55, reaching the casualty 23 minutes later.After initial treatment at the scene and on board the Lifeboat by the paramedics, the Lifeboatconveyed the casualty to Mallaig Pier at 11.35. casualty transferred to the local Ambulance,thence to hospital.

Saturday 26th March:
Stomoway Coastguard requested launch of Lifeboat after receiving a 999 call from a groupof 4 people cut off by the rising tide at Eilean Shona. Lifeboat launched at 18.31 andproceeded to Moidart where the party was located on Shona Beg, rescued by the Y-boat andultimately landed safely on the mainland near to their own transportation. All safe and well.Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 21.10 hours.

Monday 28th March: Mallaig Lifeboat launched at 15.05 hrs at the request of Stomoway Coastguard to go to theassistance of the 8 metre pleasure craft Sulvaig broken down and adrift 5 miles west of SleatPoint, Skye.
Arriving at the search area, the vessel with two people on board was quickly located andtowed back to Mallaig arriving in port at 16.30 hours.

Sunday 3rd. April:
The Mallaig Lifeboat was launched at the request of Stornoway Coastguard at 10.17 to go to the assistance of the 17 metre fishing vessel Aquilla (OB74) which had gone ashore on the Isle of Muck. Lifeboat arrived on scene at 10.56 to find local vessel Margareta with towline attached to the casualty. This towline was transferred to the Lifeboat using the Y-boat and when secured the crew of the Aquilla - one suffering from injuries to the leg, back and head - were taken off the stricken vessel individually by the Y-boat. The injured fisherman was taken on board the Lifeboat, the two others being transferred to FV Mary Manson - an operation made difficult by the 4 - 6 ft swell. An attempt was then made to pull the Tobermory based fishing vessel off the rocky shoreline but the towline parted and the boat, seen to be making water, rolled around and sank. The injured seaman was taken to Mallaig and transferred into the care of the local Ambulance team. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 13.45.

Monday 4th April:
With yacht Spingo overdue at Elgol, Skye, the Mallaig Lifeboat was launched into Force 7 winds at 16.54 to search for the missing 12 metre yacht. With the Coastguard reporting that the last known position of the Spingo was Isle of Soay, the Lifeboat proceeded to Soay, North Harbour, to find casualty and 5 crew were safe and well. Lifeboat returned to station at 10.26.

Tuesday 5th April:
Mallaig Harbour Master alerted the authorities to the plight of the fishing vessel Our Pride SH77. The vessel, with four of a crew, had broken down (with no steering) 3 miles west of Mallaig Harbour, so via Stomoway Coastguard, Mallaig Lifeboat launched in good weather conditions at 08.48 to go to the assistance of the 18 metre trawler. Lifeboat proceeded to casualty, took the vessel in tow and, at 10.26, berthed her safely alongside at Mallaig Harbour.

Wednesday 6th April:
Despite Force 7 WSW winds, the visibility was good when at 18.11 the Mallaig Lifeboat was launched to go to Inverie, Knoydart, to pick up and transport an 8 year old child with a broken arm to Mallaig. This was carried out without mishap and the youngster was transferred to the waiting ambulance at Mallaig Harbour. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 19.10.

Thursday 7th April:
Stomoway Coastguard requested Lifeboat launch to go to the aid of the yacht Spingo, dragging its anchor inLoch Scavaig. Reaching the casualty at 07.48 (50 minutes after launch), Lifeboat located the 12 metre yacht at the head of Loch Scavaig, close to the shore and in the very severe northerly wind, in danger of going ashore. The yacht was taken off in tow and the skipper - the only person on board - was transferred to the Lifeboat. The Spingo was then towed to safe harbour at Isle of Soay and moored alongside MFV Golden Isles. The skipper was then reunited with his vessel and the Mallaig Lifeboat returned to station, refuelled and ready for service at 10.45.

Thursday 14th April:
Mallaig Lifeboat launched at 21.34 to go to the assistance of the fishing vessel Academus (BA 817). The Ballantrae registered 14 metre fishing boat had picked up a rope in its propeller and was immobile half a mile off the south end ofCanna. Arriving at the casualty at 22.40, the Lifeboat took the stricken vessel in towand berthed her safely at Mallaig harbour at 4.45.

Monday 18th April:
On receiving report from Stomoway Coastguard of a yachtashore on north side of Armadale Pier, Mallaig Lifeboat launched at 01.07 andproceeded to location to find casualty Wave Train ashore in a difficult position due tostatic moorings and onshore wind. The Y-boat was launched but was unable to closewith the casualty, but as the person on board the yacht was able to get ashore himselfand with the yacht fast ashore, it was generally agreed that the Lifeboat, unable toassist further, should return to station. This it did at 02.30 hrs.

Monday 18th April:
Amid concerns that the yacht Wave Train would re-float andmight become a navigational hazard, Mallaig Lifeboat was launched at 04.40 tocheck on the stranded vessel. Arriving on scene, Lifeboat found yacht still fast ashoreand with all persons safe, returned to Mallaig Station at 06.01 hrs.

Tuesday 3rd May:
Mallaig's Relief Lifeboat, the Daniel L Gibson launched at 12.23 to investigate the sighting ofred flares off Tarskavaig. On arrival at search area, Lifeboat found a small fishing vessel,Aries, (with its one crew member on board) with no power due to propeller loss. Aries wastaken in tow by the Lifeboat for approx. two miles then the tow was passed to another local fishingvessel. Lifeboat returned to station, refuelled and ready for service at 14.30.

The Mallaig Lifeboat Henry Alston Hewat returned to Station on5th May after a two months refit on the Clyde.

Tuesday 10th May:
It was 03.32 in calm conditions when the Mallaig Lifeboat wasrequested to launch by the Stomoway Coastguard to go to the assistance of an adult male inInverie who was needing medical attention. Lifeboat conveyed ambulance personnel toKnoydart - they attended to the casualty and accompanied him back to Mallaig and thewaiting ambulance. Lifeboat back on station at 04.30.

Friday 6th June:
Lifeboat launched at 15.22 to go to the assistance of a 10m yacht Franchesco reported ashore in Loch Nevis. Arriving at the casualty six minutes after the launch, the Lifeboat took the two crew members off the yacht but remained on scene until the vessel refloated on the rising tide. Yacht towed to Mallaig and survivors landed at the port. Mallaig Lifeboat back on station at 17.30 hours.

Friday 6th June:
Lifeboat launched at 18.32 at the request of HM Coastguard who reported that a small (8 metre) cruiser had broken down 5 miles south of Arisaig Point. Proceeding to the casualty, the Lifeboat arrived on scene at 19.03, transferred a lifeboatman onto the cruiser to assist the two onboard, then towed the vessel to Roshven. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 21.30 hrs.

Tuesday 28th June:
On receiving a Mayday call from the fishing vessel Quicksilver that she had grounded, HM Coastguard requested launch of Mallaig Lifeboat at 18.55 to go to the assistance of the boat and crew of two. The Lifeboat arrived at casualty at 19.35 to find that the vessel had just floated clear of the rocks. Lifeboat then escorted the fishing boat to Mallaig arriving in port at 21.35.

Saturday 2nd July:
Lifeboat launched at 03.15 on report from Stornoway Coastguard that a fishing vessel was on fire in the harbour. The fire on board the 9.5m Connie G was extinguished by the Mallaig Fire Brigade and the badly damaged trawler was then towed and manoeuvred alongside the pier at Lovat Beach. Lifeboat refuelled, ready for service at 04.20.

Monday 11th July:
Lifeboat reported satellite signal from an EPIRB Beacon in Sound of Sleat so Lifeboat launched at 22.40 to investigate. On searching north, east and west of Mallaig Harbour, the emergency signal became noticeably weaker, but on returning to the harbour, a strong signal could be detected. Using portable radio, the emergency signal was strongest in the centre of the fish pier but all vessels nearby were checked and no errant transmission signals were found. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 01.15 on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday 12th July:
Stornoway Coastguard reported satellite signal from an EPIRB westof the Isle of Eigg so Lifeboat launched at 13.16 to investigate. On arriving at search area, no signal was detected. Lifeboat investigated the fishing vessels in the immediate area but again no emergency signal detected. Lifeboat returned tostation but Coastguard Helicopter continued search after another satellite hit was reported, and after investigating all vessels eventually traced the transmission to the trawler MFV Margareta. On searching the vessel, a small handheld EPIRB located in a seat locker was found to be transmitting. Batteries removed and transmission terminated.

Friday 15th July:
Stornoway Coastguard requested the launch of the Mallaig Lifeboat to go to the assistance of a 10m yacht, Little Else, which was being towed to Mallaig by another yacht aftersuffering machinery failure en route. The Lifeboat took over tow after putting acrewman on board the yacht to assist with securing tow-line and yacht wassubsequently towed to the safety of Mallaig Harbour for repairs. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 18.30 hrs.

Monday 18th July:
On receiving a report from the Coastguard that the 7m fishing vessel Silas had a rope in the propeller and was in danger of grounding on the rocks the Mallaig Lifeboat was launched immediately (13.40) to go to its assistance. Lifeboat proceeded to casualty, to find it only 10 ft from the shore, tow line passed and secured and vessel towed to its mooring in Aird Bay, Sleat, a few miles away. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 15.30 hrs.

Thursday 28th July:
Lifeboat coxswain was telephoned by the owner of the fishing vessel Morven to report that thevessel was taking in water. Despite attempts to stem the flow the situation began to worsen so Lifeboat was launched to move the Morven to the safety of Mallaig Harbour beach and await the tide for slipping. Lifeboat returned tostation 21.40.

Saturday 30th July:
The 12 metre yacht Concordant was reported to be suffering from machinery failure west of Sleat Point. Mallaig Lifeboat Henry Alston Hewat (launched at 14.21) reached the casualty at 14.46, took it under tow and subsequently berthed safely in Mallaig at 16.31.

Sunday 21st August:
Lifeboat launched at 18.10 at the request of the Stornoway Coastguard to go to the rescue of a female adult at Inverie who had fallen and was suffering from a broken leg. As the Lifeboat arrived on the scene at Inverie, Glenelg Mountain Rescue Team carried the casualty down the hillside to the Lifeboat, which then transported the injured lady to Mallaig Pier and the waiting Ambulance. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 19.45 hours.

Friday 26th August:
Stornoway Coastguard reported fishing trawler Sonas as having engine problems 2 miles north of Mallaig Harbour, so Lifeboat launched at 15.01 to go to her assistance. Arriving at the casualty at 15.13 hours, a member of the Lifeboat crew was put on board the trawler to assist with tow and the release of fishing gear. MFV Sonas (0B70) towed to Mallaig and berthed safely alongside Mallaig Harbour at 16.10 hours.

Thursday 8th September:
Stomoway Coastguard requested Mallaig Lifeboat to investigate a report of a red flare sighting at Kentra bay. Lifeboat launched at 01.28 and proceeded to Kentra, launched the Y-Boat and searched the area. Finding nothing, the Lifeboat went to Eilean Shona and searched there with the Y-Boat. Finding nothing. Lifeboat returned to Station 07.16, refuelled and ready for service at 08.10

Monday 19th. September:
Stomoway Coastguard had received a report of an upturned canoe in the Sound of Sleat from the skipper of the Cal-Mac ferry Coruisk, and subsequently requested that the Mallaig Lifeboat be launched to investigate. Lifeboat was launched at 15.04 and proceeded to the last reported position of the canoe - 2 miles north of Mallaig Harbour - located and recovered it and brought it in to Mallaig, handing it over to the local Coastguard. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 15.10 hrs.

Sunday 25th. September:
Lifeboat launched at 11.45 when requested by Stomoway Coastguard to search around Armadale Pier and the surrounding area for a missing female. Lifeboat proceeded to area and carried out extensive search but nothing found. Lifeboat returned to station at 13.30 hrs.

Thursday 29th. September:
SW 4 was the wind direction and speed when Mallaig Lifeboat was launched at 20.09 to proceed to Doune for a female suffering from suspected heart attack. Before proceeding to sea, the Coxswain of the Lifeboat was informed by Ambulance personnel that they were not allowed to board the Lifeboat to deal with this emergency. Coxswain then requested the services of a Doctor via HM Coastguard and within ten minutes of that request a local GP had arrived and Lifeboat set off for Doune. The Doctor and a crewman were put ashore at Doune to deal with casualty who was subsequently taken to the Lifeboat, then on to Mallaig where the ambulance was waiting to convey patient to hospital. Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 21.20 hrs.

Friday 7th October:
Although visibility was fair, the sea state was rough with SSW winds reaching gale force 8 when the Mallaig Lifeboat received a request from HM Coastguard at Stomoway to go to the assistance of two canoeists in difficulty north of Glenelg. Launching at 10.08 the Lifeboat proceeded to the search area and via mobile phone contact tried to establish the canoeists' position. It was soon discovered that the two paddlers - who were using North American style canoes - had managed to make landfall. Conditions were too rough to attempt landing at their site by the Y-boat but assurances were received from the casualties that they were safe and well and intending to stay with the canoes and set-up camp until the weather improved. Stomoway Coastguard were quite at ease with the situation so Lifeboat was released and returned to Mallaig where it was refuelled and ready for service at noon.

Saturday 22nd October:
Lifeboat launched at 08.44 to go to the assistance of the Mallaig- based prawn trawler Kalbarri which was on fire just west of the Isle of Eigg. When Lifeboat arrived on scene the 12 metre fishing vessel was drifting with flames and smoke visible in the forecastle. The two-man crew of the fishing boat had taken to the life raft and once they had been rescued by the Coastguard Helicopter and flown to Broadford Hospital, the life raft was recovered from the sea. The Lifeboat then assisted the Scottish Fishery Protection Agency vessel Minna - who had arrived on scene - to douse remainder of fire. Members of the crew of the Minna went on board the OB registered Kalbarri to confirm that the fire was fully extinguished. The badly damaged Kalbarri was towed to Mallaig Harbour, with the Minna escorting, and pumps and personnel were put on board to maintain vessel stability. MFV Kalbarri OB555 berthed alongside Mallaig Harbour at 15.27 with Lifeboat refuelled and ready for service at 16.15.

Wednesday 7th December:
Mallaig Lifeboat launched in Force 8, SSE winds, at 19.07 hours, to go to the aid of the Mallaig-based fishing boat Quiet Waters, which was reported taking in water approx. 25 miles from Mallaig. Things got so bad that the 4-man crew of the Quiet Waters took to the liferaft and were picked up by another fishing boat that had arrived on scene, Gleaner.
Barra Lifeboat, which was also steaming to the casualty, turned back and Mallaig Lifeboat continued to the scene. On arrival and after assessment of the situation with Coastguard and the Coastguard Helicopter crew, it was decided that due to weather conditions and swell, it was too dangerous to attempt any transfer of pump, especially when no danger to life existed. The Mallaig Lifeboat stood by the Quiet Waters for 3½ hours awaiting arrival of the Coastguard Tug, but unfortunately the 20 metre trawler sank before the Tug arrived on scene. Lifeboat remained on scene for a further hour to ensure EPIRB was not transmitting, and when Falmouth confirmed nothing had been picked up by the satellite, the Mallaig Lifeboat headed for home, was refuelled and ready for service at 04.10 hours.

Wednesday 14th December:
Request from the Stomoway Coastguard to investigate a Red Flare sighting in Loch Eisort was undertaken by Mallaig Lifeboat, which was launched in fine weather conditions at 11.15. The casualty, the 6 metre Ailsa II, was subsequently taken in tow by another fishing vessel, Vikingborg, and then passed on to the local boat Gladly Anne, who towed Ailsa II to the safety of the head of Loch Slapin. On its arrival at the scene, the Mallaig Lifeboat found vessel and the two persons on board to be safe and well, so it was a quick return to the Station, and make ready for service by 1300 hours.

Wednesday 21st December:
Mallaig Lifeboat launched at 08.45 hours following a request from the Stomoway Coastguard to go to assist Portree and Kyle Lifeboats on scene towing oil tanker Blackfriars off rocks at Kyle. The Lifeboat proceeded to Kyle and on arrival Blackfriars had been refloated. Portree and Kyle Lifeboats were released from service but Mallaig Lifeboat stayed on scene until the oil tanker anchored safely. Lifeboat returned to Station, refuelled, ready for service at 11.20.

Previous year's log